The BBC World Service is embarking on an exciting journey with unprecedented investment in digital content for Africa and your role will be critical to us in meeting our ambitions
At the BBC, we believe our mission is to inform, educate and connect the audiences from Africa to the rest of the world. BBC Pidgin digital service aims to deliver our journalism in a lively and engaging fashion, with a focus on interactivity and the promotion of content on social media and across all platforms. As one of our video journalist you’ll have a crucial role in leading our engagement with the audience. By joining BBC Pidgin, you’ll be a part of the new team including Yoruba and Igbo, will serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
You’re creative and versatile journalist, with a strong understanding of what makes good digital video and how video is consumed on digital platforms. We’re looking for producer who is passionate evangelist about digital storytelling. As the digital landscape is changing you would need to be as nimble as the technologies.
You will need sound editorial judgement, understanding Africa news agenda, ability to tell complex stories in an engaging way, sharp editing skills and the ability respond to breaking news. You will be adept with technology, quickly pick up new skills and turn ideas into engaging storytelling. All candidates will be expected to demonstrate a clear understanding of digital platforms as well as video editing skills.
- To create bespoke optimized content including social media posts, reports, compilations, interviews, discussions, ‘explainers’, features video, photos, infographics and other editorial content for social media networks and on all BBC Pidgin platforms.
- To ensure that any output material for which the post holder is responsible meets the standards required by the BBC
- Work with other members of the Pidgin and Nigeria team, and the wider BBC Africa newsroom, to identify and produce creative and innovative video news content.
- To originate innovative formats for BBC Pidgin social media posts best suited for each social network, including Facebook and Instagram and optimize these formats using social analytics and then champion the use of successful formats across the team.
- Re-version BBC material with a mobile audience in mind.
- To create multimedia content for publication on social media and the BBC Pidgin mobile audiences, as appropriate and to the required specification whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and adhering to the BBC’s Editorial guidelines.
- Research, storyboard and produce stories.
- Create headlines and video teasers to promote our stories and reach to as wide an audience as possible.
- Contribute ideas and angles to meetings on how to cover the main news of the day.
- To show visual creativity in the use of pictures and graphics to illustrate and explain fast-moving events and complex stories.
- You may be required to travel off base on short reporting trips and assignments.
- To experiment with emerging tools and platforms.
- Working to short deadlines for breaking and developing stories.
- All staff may be required to work with or move to other teams, and to have the ability to work across a range of skills and in a flexible manner, and to carry out these responsibilities in accordance with the BBC’s overall standards and values.
- The job holder will be expected to work and think collaboratively at all times – both within World Service and across the wider BBC.
Requirements, Skills & Experience
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Pidgin
- Experience of video production, editing and storytelling.
- Experience of using video editing software similar to Q-edit or FCPX.
- In depth understanding of digital and social platforms – the BBC’s and others – and the different ways audiences are consuming news in Africa
- A strong journalistic track record with knowledge of Africa and African affairs.
- Experience in social-first content production and audience engagement.
- Ability to work well with other producers, reporters and teams.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with the area/s to which the Service broadcasts including Africa , Nigeria and West African affairs and an in-depth understanding of the area/s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience. An extensive knowledge of the media situation in the target area and the way it is developing.
- Proven editorial judgment and flair, able to make sound decisions quickly.
- Knowledge of the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and commitment to the editorial aims of BBC News.
- Must be able to work well and calmly in a live newsroom environment; handle a rapidly changing news agenda, and have the temperament to enjoy the process.
- Must be able to demonstrate sense of visual awareness as well as technical aptitude.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety policies and practices.
- Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and take responsibility for the outcomes of the decisions made.
Imagination / Creative Thinking:
- Translates news and current affairs into high quality video content through a detailed understanding of the requirements of digital and social media and possession of the necessary writing, directing and reporting skills.
Planning and Organizing:
- Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Can maintain personal effectiveness when managing setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
Influencing and Persuading:
- Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
Managing Relationships and Team Working:
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works cooperatively with others to be part of a team.
- Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage as well as those of the programme departments
Application Deadline: 28th June, 2018.
APPLY HERE: BBC